Friday, February 13, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia: Reflection 001



Making all these plans, it’s inevitable for me to stop and think and look at what I’m doing every once in a while (as apparent in my last entry). So I decided to post, along side of my planning efforts, a couple of reflective thoughts as well.



Despite all my excitement in planning this thing, I may have mentioned that I didn’t want to plan it at all. And now the more that I plan, the more I want my plans to push through. And the more I’ll feel bad when they don’t. That’s why I didn’t want to make plans in the first place. But now I realize that not making plans is not about avoiding setting myself up for disappointment. Its exactly the opposite. It’s about opening my mind to all other possibilities instead of being fixated on something that I panned months in the past (a moment that’s gone now). It’s about carpe diem, seizing the day.



I realized this because I was considering not booking the Everest base camp in advance because its cheaper with a local agency but I was too scared that I’d go all that way only to find that I wouldn’t make it to base camp at all. But then I remembered writing that there’s so much to do in Nepal. Everest base camp, though it might be the best, is far from the only thing worth going for.



So, I will continue to make my plans and I will try to follow them as best I can. But what I won’t do is get bummed out when things don’t go my way. Come to think of it, this is how I was living right after grad. I wonder what happened to make me shrivel up again.