Thursday, February 12, 2009

Planing Stage - Asia

I'm planning a trip around Asia. I'm not sure exactly how to go about it yet but all I know is that as soon as i get tired of my job (maybe in a year or two), I'm taking this trip around Asia.

I'm posting my planning efforts here and I'll post every so often to get productive comments from anyone about pretty much anything. You can suggest and comment about places to go, things to do, traveling tips, things to avoid, people to meet up with along the way, food to try, budget concerns, travel options etc.

I'm prone to massive digressions and poor spelling so bear with me.

Short background: I was supposed to do this after grad and my dad already agreed to it but then I got a job (and had my heart broken). But now I'm back on track. Originally, I thought, if I had it my way, I'd fly to Calcutta and do my best to make it to Vietnam by land. No itinerary, no companions. Of course, certain countries make it impossible not to plan because of the need for Visas. But looking on the bright side, planning also is something for me to look forward to everyday after work. And, I'm not stuck on the no companions idea anymore. You're free to join me on parts of my travels but on the whole, I'd rather not have to consult anyone in terms of plans and itineraries.

I have a Canadian passport so i think that means i have access to commonwealth countries without a visa and I will get my Philippine passport (soon I hope) so that means I'll have access to Southeast Asian countries.

Laslty, I don't have much money so this will be a budget trip. I'm paying for it myself. To keep it cheap, I don't plan on going to expensive countries like Singapore, Korea and Japan. I'll save that for another time.

Here's what I've come up with so far (Its not much but its just came to me before i had to go to work. I'm actually at work right now taking a short break.):

Nepal
How to get there:
Connecting flight through HK (That means I might as well go to HK! ...Holy crap, that's 50k already!)

Land trip through India.
I may turn my trip backwards and make my way from Vetnam to India then to Nepal and finally HK before coming home.

What to do:
Nature tripping. It's the home of Everest base camp (right?) but I'm not planning on buying alpine gear so I'll put that off for now. The mountains and landscape have got to be awesome.

India

Of course is inevitable. I guess I want to see the Taj Majal and the Ganges. I'm too inexperienced of a traveler not to be cliche about some things. In fact, travelling around the Philippines, I usually avoid tourist spots but maybe around Asia I'd want to meet more tourists.

that's all for now.

Standing budget: Way more than 50k