Friday, February 13, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia: 003 -Still Stuck on Everest Base Camp

I’m still a bit stuck on the idea of getting to the Everest base camp. I’ll already be there. Why not right?

Or maybe I shouldn’t go to Nepal at all. I’d have to bring Alpine gear and then I’ll end up lugging that around for another two or three months just for the month I spend in Nepal. That’s gotta be bulky in my pack. I wonder if I can survive in Nepal on just jeans and thermal undies.

Anyway, it’s a good thing I didn’t dismiss it right away. I found much cheaper option. It’s a 16 day trek to Everest base camp for 650USD including food and lodging. That’s about a fifth of the price I originally found. Maybe I can find something even cheaper in the future.

16 Day 650USD Everest Base Camp (Cheapest so far)

I found it here:
http://www.realadventures.com/listings/1155828_16-Days-Everest-Base-Camp-Trek

(by google-ing “Cheapest Nepal Everest Base Camp” hehe. Forget about safety and comfort!)

The package is pretty much all in, so I don’t have to worry about much.

It includes:

Food
Lodging
Guide
Entrance Fees
Equipment
Pick up from Tribhuban International Airport
Sight seeing around Kathmandu Valley
40 minute flight to Lukla
About 5 hours of trekking a day for 9 days with acclimatization rest days in between
40 minute flight back to Kathmandu

It Excludes:

Travel Insurance (Mandatory for booking - crap, how much?)
Hotel and meals in Kathmandu (10USD hotel/night)
Nepal Visa 40USD
Miscellaneous costs
Departure tax from Airport 28USD (If I go to India after, I won’t need this)
Medical evacuation in case of emergency (hahahaha great!)

[Note: I have to remember that Nepal is the pivot point of my trip. India is the farthest west I want to go but Nepal has a bigger draw so I’d rather center my trip on it.

A flight to Nepal passes HK (and Macau is not far from there). I’m leaning towards starting with Macau the HK then Nepal then making my way back to Vietnam by road. That way, I can make an early booking to Nepal without tying myself down to an IT. And probably save a lot of money in the process.

On the other hand, this might be the zenith of my trip and everything else may pale in comparison.


Here’s another one!

15 Day 650USD Everest Base Camp

Similar itinerary http://www.addictedtotravel.com/holidays/everest-base-camp

Without food (Allow USD300) but with guesthouse and lodges

No insurance mentioned though

Sleeping bags, jackets and other equipment can be rented for 2USD a day. Good to know! That solves my bulk problem.

Local Nepali Tour Agency

Supposed to be much cheaper and easier to bargain in person.

http://www.nepalmakalu.com/everest_bc.htm is a local site but the rates aren’t listed. I emailed to inquire about them. Their IT is 19 days but it includes and extra day.

Getting to Nepal

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=15354

3 ways

From Delhi:
Delhi to Gorkhpur by train. Gorkhpur to Sanauli/Bhairawa ( border town),just 2 hours by bus.

From Kolkata:
Kolkata to Raxaul by train. Raxaul to Birganj by cycle rickshaws or three wheelers.

From Darjeeling to Kakarbhita and cross over to Nepal.
This is the cheapest and though not easiest way to reach Nepal.

From all the border towns inside Nepal, get direct buses to Kathmandu and Pokhra.

Trains are supposed to be “dirt cheap”

Other Options:

156 USD gets me a birds eye view of Everest from Kathmandu with Buddah Air but… nah…
Still to find:

Travel insurance

Thoughts:

Alpine clothes are supposed to be cheap there. I read about someone buying a jacket, gloves, hat and sleeping bag for 50USD in 2004. That’s even cheaper than Baguio! Though, I won’t leave everything to chance. I’ll spend a couple of days in Kathmandu to canvass/tour around just the same.

There are options to either camp or stay at a lodge during the nights on the way to base camp. I’d imagine tents are cheaper but I also read that the lodges are a good way to immerse yourself in the culture. Plus, I wouldn’t want to be miserable in a tent for the whole trip.

I guess its Macau, HK, Nepal India then road trip to Vietnam and possibly Malaysia. Hey, I’m getting somewhere!

Theres so much to do in Nepal. I wonder where my time would be best spent.

This part of the trip will have to be timed well for good weather.

This trip would be a great excuse to buy that hand pump water filter I always wanted to buy. It could save me a lot of cash on bottled water. Not sure if it works for heavy metals and stuff though.

I read somewhere last time that you can buy a small chain and padlock to lock your pack to the train in India sometimes. Might be handy.

Since I’m considering booking my base camp trek when I get there, it makes it more difficult to get the timing right. Too close to peak season and its expensive, too far and I’ll be alone and going alone usually means its expensive too. Plus… I’ll be alone! September sounds good climate wise. October to May is off monsoon season.

Have to get used to the idea of computing everything in terms of dollars…

Flight from Manila to Hong Kong is 3000PHP Cebu Pacific

Next to plan is the Macau HK part

Good websites:

TravelPunk.com

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/indian-sub-cont/13045-everest-base-camp-september.html

LonelyPlanet.com

Standing Facts so far:

Budget:

Manila to Macau 1,500PHP (32 USD)

Hong Kong to Kathmandu (5 hrs) 3,810.00 HKD (492 USD)

Destinations:

Maybe Macau
Hong Kong
Kathmandu
India

Estimated Lenght so far:

Just under a month