Monday, February 16, 2009

Hi I'm dru and I'm a Coffee Drinker

It was an uphill battle that quickly went from a coarse beginning to an overpoweringly lactic state, and then finally ended on a perfectly bitter-sweet note. But things are turning cold even as this blogger types.

Growing up, coffee was just one of those weird things that adults did that didn't make sense to me. Sure it tasted good. But everybody knows that coffee stunts your growth (which my mom finally admitted last week that she doesn't believe). So why bother?

Coffee was like smoking or drinking alcohol. Just weird.

Despite this, I learned early on that I had a proclivity towards addiction. Candy was my drug of choice and that addiction still haunts me to this day. I can't tell you how many times, after being sober for months, I binged on an innocent bag of Fruitos.

I wanted to say something cool like Jolly Rancher or Sweet Factory but no, that wouldn't be truthful. Fruitos is good and cheap.

When I was a kid though, it didn't matter what the candy was. And I wasn't the type to save the best for last either. With everything else, yes. With candy, no. My trick-or-treating bag was my stairway to heaven. I'd have the Jolly Ranchers and worked my way down the quality pyramid until all I had left were those sugar coated jelly orange slices that old people ate or licorice that wasn't even sticks!

And with this addiction to candy, I realized that I would eventually drink and I would eventually smoke and I would drink coffee and maybe drugs too. But, so help me, I was going to put it off as long as I could.

I dropped the ball with drinking in high school. Drinking = parties = girls. In high school, (high school nga lang ba?) girls = GOD! We were brave and stupid. We never had a chance. No... I need not say more. *tear*

I managed, despite all my efforts to impress smoker girls, to put off smoking until after college. Considering that my parents both smoke and my brother fell into at an older age, that was actually an achievement for me. A binge for me is two sticks during inuman. Otherwise its just... yuck.

With coffee though, if anything, the advent of the initial Starbucks sensation wave was a deterrent. P90 for something you could get in McDonalds for P20 or less AND it would stunt my growth? Forget that!

I was ignorant of the real possibilites that caffination could bring until I started working in Solar and, only actually having to work 2 hours out of my 10 hour day, staying awake was a daily battle. One that I armed myself with instant coffee to win. Iced and hot tea were also in my artillary but coffee was my H-bomb.

Working on the night shift at SEOP pretty much sealed the deal. I figured that real coffee was bound to be healthier than instant coffee and my mom gave me a brand new coffee maker we had lying around.

Today, I craved the cup even before work started, even before I got sleepy.

To my satisfaction, it took about three weeks but I'd finally made the perfect cup of coffee for me. It was made with a dash of fresh (well, UTH fresh) milk, unfinely ground coffee beans and a teaspoon of brown sugar. And with it came the realization that coffee would no longer be a means to an end but an end in itself.

I've joined a statistic group.

Hi I'm dru and I'm a coffee drinker.