Monday, February 16, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia: 005 - How Madhay F*cked Me

I did a little digging on the wonderful World Wide Web and made a booking inquiry on a website called RealAdventures.com and they forwarded my message to Skyline Treks and Expeditions. I’m guessing this is a Nepalese agency based solely on the fact that the guy I ended up talking to was named Madhav. I’m guessing that’s a guy’s name…

Anyway, the guy sent me an itinerary and added me on YM. I also got a couple other itineraries from other companies but I’m not comfortable posting them here if only for the fact that they weren’t posted on the websites. There might be copyright issues or something. Feel free to ask me to send them via email though.

So here are some excepts from our conversation and some comments:



“skylinetreks: hello
skylinetreks: How are you ?
skylinetreks: I am from Nepal
skylinetreks: I've received your query from the real adventure regarding the Everest base camp trekking”



Notice the perfect English in the beginning. *smirk*



“skylinetreks: travel insurance cost per day US$ 10 it covers for rescue as well
dru_525: I see
dru_525: that's separate from the 650USD stated on the website?
skylinetreks: If you (necessity) rescue without insurance cost per hr US$ 1850 only
skylinetreks: You required minimim 3 hrs
skylinetreks: 16 days trip cost US$ 991+ 14 DAYS INSURANCE COST US$ 140 = TOTAL AMMOUNT US$1131 only”



ONLY KA DYAN POTAH!

I was only expecting to pay 650USD! It turns out the 650 doesn’t include the flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. On the website, the flight is supposed to be included.

But wait, there’s more!



“dru_525: what other costs should I expect aside from what you just told me?
skylinetreks: all your personal day to day accommodation, Flight from and to Lukla, your travel insurance, Kathmandu Hotel on your seperate
skylinetreks: pay by yourself”



Crap!



“dru_525: and how much will he be able to carry for me?
skylinetreks: Tips after complete the trip is necessity
skylinetreks: Maximum25 KG
dru_525: I see, what's customary for a tip?
skylinetreks: depend on the service
skylinetreks: if you are much more happier than you have expected you can give US$ 100 each otherwise US$ 30-50.... can be expect
dru_525: That's a bit ironic since I'm hoping to be happy but I'm honestly on a tight budget.
dru_525: heh
dru_525: hehe
skylinetreks: ok you can give tips US$ 30 each
skylinetreks: no problem”



Double crap!



I think I can carry my own 25KG plus water. I didn’t get to ask if I could go without the porter. He did say:



“dru_525: I there a place I where I can leave my other baggage while on the trek?
skylinetreks: you may store in the hotel or in our office without any cost (It's free)”



Finally, some good news!

Here’s some other interesting stuff. I pretended that I was planning to go next month so they’d reply right away.



“skylinetreks: when would you prefered for this trekking ?
skylinetreks: better to book as early as possible
dru_525: I was thinking of going as soon as possible but now, especially after this conversation, I might want to put it off for a year and make it a trip around Asia
skylinetreks: If you go to Pokhara for Annapurna Base camp Trekking, can be cheaper for you because you and your trekking guide does not necessity for the flight ticket
dru_525: I see
skylinetreks: can drive all the-way
dru_525: May I ask at what time of year its not too busy during the non-monsoon season?
skylinetreks: US$ 650 inclusiv of your meals while on the trekking, guide and porter fees etc...
skylinetreks: monsoon season is not good for trekking, because of ranny, lichess on the way, can't see the good view, sleepy on the way,
dru_525: I meant not during the monsoon season.
skylinetreks: winter season also not too busy but very cold,
skylinetreks: not too busy season during the June to August and December to February
dru_525: Alright
dru_525: I'm more likely to go during June to August
skylinetreks: ok
skylinetreks: may i send you Annapurna Base Camp Trekking Itinerary ?
dru_525: Sure
dru_525: I can't make any commitments right now in terms of booking but before I go, is there anything else I should be asking? What do people usually forget to ask about?
skylinetreks: no, nothing
dru_525: Alright. Thanks. You've been very helpful.”



Hay nako base camp hassle ka. I could always choose to make this an India-Nepal-HK trip or a Southeast Asia trip.

But NO! NO! NO! I DON WANNA! Hahahaha.

Game ako dito! Just GO!