Monday, March 16, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia: Practice on Palawan

This entry is a little different. I won a free Cebu Pacific ticket to Puerto Princessa, Palawan. It can be redeemed within six months. Ticket lang. Walang lodging. PERFECT!

Perfect for a little trial run. This trip will give me a chance to stretch my travelers legs before the actual thing. It's not that I don't want to go with anyone (my friends are welcome to join me) its just that I won't keep an itinerary and that might make it hard for a group thing. I want to go for a week in May before the rainy season. It also just so happens that I finally get leaves from work in May. If not, I’d gladly go during one of the more interesting festivals/fiestas at any time of year.

http://www.palawan.gov.ph/festivals.php

I was doing a little research for the trip and there are so many nice places to stay that it was hard to pick just one. So I’m not going to. I’m going to stay at all the places I like and hopefully more. I figure I’ll go for a week and stay in the beach first then maybe further in the city when I get tired of the beach. Strangely, a lot of the websites have German translations. I guess there’s a good chance I’ll meet some Germans.

There’s this one place, Bambua in Sabang (2-4 hours jeep from the city), it’s a nature park resort and only 200PHP a night, common bath. I definitely want to stay there for a while. The bahay kubo cottages look like they’re inside the rainforest. Exactly what I’m looking for in other countries for my Asia trip.

How to get there:
Public Jeepneys leave for Sabang at the new Public Bus Terminal at San Jose, Puerto Princesa. It is better to be early at the Terminal. The best time to travel the route to Sabang is with the 7 AM Jeepney or the the 9 AM Bus. Until around 3 PM several Jeepneys are departing for Sabang.

There’s a place closer to the airport called Banwa Pension Resort. I’ll probably stay here on the night of my arrival. 250PHP a night, probably common bath. Judging from the photos and self-description, it seems very artsy. They claim that you won’t hear the usual Kareoke blasting from speakers and that they play native instruments at night. There’s also some kind of stationary bike that you have to ride if you want electricity at night. Hahaha! Sounds quirky and fun!

How to get there:
Supposedly, tricycles from the airport and harbor know how to get there. If not, the website suggests that I get dropped off at B. Mendoza St. and “…ask one of our friendly neighbors who will point you in the right direction.” How friendly.

Of course, Palawan won’t be complete if I don’t stay at a beachfront resort. I’ll leave this one up to chance. Maybe I’ll stay in a cushier place since this will be the first time I’ll be leaving Luzon (aside from Singapore) since I’ve had a job and can afford better. Yup. Just because I have the money.

Puerto Pension looks like the place to spend if ever. It looks like a giant 4 floor bahay kubo (why are all the places I choose kubo’s?). Or, maybe a place with a pool. No point in spending more money in a place to sleep if there’s no draw like a pool or a spa or something. Free wi-fi got me thinking that maybe I can work while on vacation some time. I wonder what EJ (my boss) would say to that. Hahaha. He’ll hate me.

Most of the resorts have all the tours: Underground River, Sabang Beach Snorkling, Mangrove River Paddle Tour, Daylight Hole, Lion's Cave Sabang. I wonder if there’s a way I can do the tours without going through a resort. That would definitely be cheaper. I’m not sure if I want to go to the nature preservation sites or go canoeing among the mangroves unless I find someone to go with. It feels like something to do with a group or family.

Prayer answered:

http://www.pinoylakwatsa.com/2009/02/puerto-princesa-palawan-revisited-part_08.html

I should buy a map of Puerto Princessa. National Book Store?

I think the websites that I found pretty much speak for themselves:

http://www.banwa.com/
http://www.bambua-palawan.com/
http://www.pal-onl.com/pension/
http://www.palawan.gov.ph/natural.php
http://www.blogtoplist.com/rss/puerto-princesa.html