Monday, March 9, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia: 007 - The Gateway to Southeast Asia

1 baht = 1.34346623PHP = 0.027666 USD

The golden nugget that I was waiting for was dropped into my lap about a week ago but I didn’t realize it until last night. My sister went to Thailand earlier this month and mentioned a place called Khao San Road in passing. I didn’t think much of it at the time until I told myself that I never force on any part of this trip, not even planning. I would do things as I wanted to. And any sort of planning seemed so daunting a task to take on after what I went through with Nepal. I didn’t know how to start again.

Fittingly the place where I’m starting was coined ‘The Gateway to Southeast Asia’. Normally, I wouldn’t flock to where the crowds are but this will be at the very beginning of my trip when I’m still unsure of myself and it would be nice to start out in a backpacker friendly environment, which is exactly what Khao San Road presents itself to be.

In a tourism ploy that could have turned bad for lack of accommodations, tourists started looking and successfully found residents to stay with and pay lodging fees. The guest house business grew from there.

Getting there:

150 baht AE2 bus will go directly to Khao San Road for 150 Baht = 202PHP = 4USD. 40-60 minutes.

35 Baht BMTA bus. Ask the driver "Bpai Banglampu mai" (are you going to Banglampu) which is within walking distance to Khao San Road. Walking distance is pretty relative but I’m inclined to take this risk. 115 Baht is a huge difference but the website says that BMTA can be confusting. If I get lost and end up spending more, I would have spent the money on a welcome adventure!

For future reference, if the transportation takes more than two hours, I might want to travel half the way, spend the day or stay the night and explore somewhere along the way before traveling the rest of the way. I’m also willing to spend more on transpo if the transpo is an experience in itself (like a ferry) or will save lots of time (like the MRT).

Places to stay:

Judging from the pictures, their budget hotels are pretty much the most expensive places that I would pay for in the Philippines (around 450PHP/night/head) at around 650 Baht = 874PHP 18USD (Thai Cozy House) for pretty much the works (TV, fridge, hot water etc), 400 Bhat (Nana Plaza) or 250 Baht for a single fan and shared shower, (Chart Guesthouse and Restaurant). That’s probably not including taxes.

I think it might be okay to spend on a midrange room on some occasions but this isn’t one of them. Knowing me, the only thing I’ll be doing in a room in the city is sleeping and showering. Air-con rooms are for the beach if at all.

Places to visit nearby:

The Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha (Wat Prakaew), Wat Pho, the National Library, Thammasat University Library, International Art Museum, and Sanam Luang (The King's Park).

I might spend two or three days doing that and settling in.

From there, I definitely want to go to (things to plan for the future):

Khao Yai National Park
-Jungle treks
-7 tier waterfall
-elephants and other wildlife
+This place is definitely me, wanted to put an exclamation point after every point.

Bangkok Floating Market
-One day
+I know there are a few of them but I don’t think I have to go to all. Maybe the biggest and the smallest, maybe just the nearest.

Nightlife
+No need to plan. I’m sure I can find my way around at night and ask for tips from the hotel or other travelers. I imagine I’ll be sleeping from sunset when I get back from my tours until around 10 or 11pm where I’ll go out at night and see what’s up. Sana.

Krabi
-Climbing Mecca in Thailand
-Beach
-Travelers destination
+I might not go. I don’t want to force myself to go just because I’m a climber and I want to see the place. I’d rather go with other Filipinos and make an entire month long trip of it. I’m sure a week won’t be enough.

As for historical places other than temples and other beaches, although I won’t actively avoid them, I probably won’t concentrate on them since we have the most beautiful beaches in the Philippines and there’s so much else to see. Plus I can go to Krabi some other time and I will be going to Goa.

Helpful little unorganized website: http://www.khaosanroad.com/