Saturday, March 28, 2009

Planing Phase - Asia

It's been difficult to figure out what to post since most of what I'm doing now is just accumulating directions into word files called "Travel by Land" (I've reached Cambodia from KL) or "Shiznit that has to be done in the Philippines" (The lodges in Mt. Kinabalu have to be reserved months in advance), and the like.

The reason why it has come to this is because I've pretty much planed everything I want to plan. There’s still much to learn and I have to get a better idea of my budget and travel time but I’m fairly sure it could be done the way I want to do it
That said, this might be my last entry for a while unless I find something amazing to rave about.

And, WAHOOOOO!!!! I set a date and plan!

It was exhausting to try to find a way to make it work so that I wouldn't hit any of the countries during monsoon season for that particular country. Being that Nepal will probably be the hardest part and is, as I've mentioned, the pivotal part of my trip, I began from there.

The best time to climb Nepal is in September to November. The problem with that is, somewhere towards the later half but still in the middle of my trip. If I were to put Nepal at the beginning (fly from Bangkok to Nepal and make my way back) over 4 months, I’d be spending Christmas somewhere in India or Bangladesh. While I’m not totally against spending Christmas away from my family, I also had to remember that prices get jacked up during the holidays.

Or if I made it so that my trip ended in September, I’d be hitting monsoon season in Bangladesh and Myanmar. These are the rainiest countries I’ll ever have been to, based on what I’ve read. It also might complicate traveling by bus. Though, this was my second best plan and my contingency if things don’t work out.

I said that Nepal was best in September to November but its also pretty good from December to February and except that it’s colder and from March to May except that it rains from time to time. I chose the latest option so that I could save the largest possible amount of money from work before I quit (or ask for a four month leave).

I’ll be in Nepal by May. Incidentally, I can schedule it so that I REACH EVEREST BASECAMP ON MY BIRHTDAY!!!!! The original schedule was a bit more sentimental where I’d actually leave on my birthday but this works just as well.

So I’ll be leaving for Kota Kinabalu in early March to climb Mt. Kinabalu. I hope LM can join me for this part though it will be before graduation for some of them next year. Since Malaysia is so expensive compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, I’ll try to bring lots of food and water from home.

Then I’ll fly to KL where I’ll take a train into Thailand and a bus to Krabi (Climbing Mecca) for about a week. I estimate this will between the second and third week of March.

From there, I’ll make my way through Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Bangladesh (Still don’t know what to do in these countries) over land before heading to Nepal through India. It should be early May by this point and I’ll go straight on through to Nepal for Everest base camp.

After Nepal, I’ll go around India and stay two to four depending on how much money I have left. Maybe I can even spend a week in Sri Lanka or Hampi. I’m sure I won’t lack in activities.
From Bangkok, maybe I’ll stay a week and visit the 7 tier waterfall Leonardo DiCaprio jumped from in the movie “The Beach”. And then its back home to Manila from there.

I have the budget for Nepal and Malaysia pretty much planned out (and attached - Multiply only) if you’re interested. I’m still working on the rest but will roughly cost me 1000PHP a day for travel in any of those countries not including the activities involved like the trek to EBC, entrance fees to national parks that don’t have hostels inside, and just plain drinking.

If anyone has suggestions on where to go, I’m completely open.
Wohhoooooh! Feel free to invite yourself! Dru_525@yahoo.com.