Thursday, February 12, 2009

Planning Phase - Asia 002: How could I forget Hampi?

First of all, I changed the name of my post from Planning Stage to Planning stage. Why? That’s just how I roll. I change everything on the fly.

*Dorky white boy dance*


Ok Hampi. How could I forget Hampi?! Hampi is this famous bouldering area in India. I saw it in a rock climbing video once with Chris Sharma, Nate Gold and Katie Brown. Looks a-friggn-mazing! I don’t know much else about it except that.

According to http://www.hampi.in and some other sources, I can get there by train in 2 days and 2 nights for 9USD in the lowest class (Second Class aka Cattle Class!!). Not bad if I have the time but I don’t know if I really want to spend that long on a train just to get to Hampi if I’m not in shape by that time (I’ll. Hampi is at the Southern end of India in Trivandum (while Nepal is North of India). It’s way out of my way. If I go that far, I’d want to drop by Bombay and Hyderabad at the very least. Maybe I can get Falk to show me around Sri Lanka.

Getting to Hampi

232INR (5USD) - Hyderbad to Hopset (to get to Hampi) – sleeping class train

198INR (4USD) - Goa to Hopset – sleeping class train

10INR (.20USD) – Hopset to Hampi – 30 minute bus

15INR (.30USD) – Shared Auto Rickshaw (taxi?)

Note: Touristy stuff can be planned before hand in Hopset.

In Hampi

30-40INR - Bike rental per day

Note: mopeds are more expensive (150INR) maybe I’ll splurge on the last day

5INR – Coracle ferry (Plus 10-15INR with a bike)

Hampi Ruins

Car Hire : About Rs 600 to Rs 800 per day (includes driver allowance).
Generally people hire car from Hospet and travel onward to the Hampi ruins. Remember car cannot take you to all the ruins site in Hampi. Be prepared for some considerable legwork, that is, if you are serious about ‘exploring’ Hampi.

Tonga (horse carriage) : About Rs 50 to Rs 100
That is for a typical short to medium exclusive trip from one monument to another (say from the Sacred Center to the Royal Centre or to the Vittala Temple). Tongas are slow but funny and environmentally friendly alternative to explore the ruins site.

Lodging

50-200 INR at the Hampi Bazaar
Can be anything from a hut to a rooftop with a family inside

Food
South Indian breakfast – Rs15
Breakfast (western type) – Rs60
South Indian meals – Rs25
Dinner with special dishes – Rs100 to Rs 200
Packaged drinking water – Rs15 per liter.

For entrance fees, guide fees and the like… http://www.hampi.in/cost.htm CLOSED ON FRIDAY

Note: Set aside around 1000 INR for whole day of touring?

Still to find:
Bouldering

More travel options to get there from different places.
Someone to boulder with?

Thoughts:

Maybe I should make a policy where I stay an extra day everywhere I go, just for a chance to do something unexpected. It really depends on my budget I guess.

Whew, planning is gonna be hard. I jumped from Nepal to Hampi without considering what’s in between. But I realize more and more that it will save me money too.

I’m getting too excited about Hampi. Maybe I should save it for another time. 2 days of travel one way. Unless I find stuff to do in between, I wouldn’t be able to justify it.

On the other hand… HAMPI!!!